Monday, May 26, 2008

Virtual Cluster Markup Language (VCML)

Friday, May 23, at 3.00 pm, I knocked my supervisor's room door and I opened it. I said to him "Good afternoon Sir" and I came in to his room went to his table. I sat there. "Sir, I have collected this research paper" I showed him my collection of research paper. He started reading the abstract paper one by one, and after read the second paper entitled 'Virtual Clusters' he asked me a question. "what is virtual cluster?" He said.

I drew a machine/hardware, and I explained him that on top of that machine we can put a thin layer such as VMWare, and than on top of it we can install more than 1 OS, suppose we install 3 different OS (suppose Linux, Windows and Mac) on top of that thin layer. In that case the thin layer will provide a fake processor, memory, ethernet card, and everything. So, from outside others will sew that three machine as a three independent machine. Completely independent, that why we call that three machine as a virtual machine. In top of that three virtual machine we can put a thin layer such as OpenMosix as a tool to make that three machine as a cluster. Because of that machine that make a cluster is not a real machine (virtual machine) so we can all it as a virtual cluster. Others will see that this three machine as a single machine. That is virtual cluster.

"So what is the purpose of the virtual machine?" he asked me. "To increase the utilization of the machine" I said. OK he said and than he think. From his face I knew that he did not 100% agree. He asked again, "how if we install the same OS in the three machine". "Yes we can do it sir". He thank hard, and he explained me about real cluster. Imagine that there are 100 machine and we can do make a cluster with that machine. That machine already connected. One time we need a cluster that consist of 5 machine with specification this, this, this. Without any change of the wiring we can see the cluster as we want it. So there is a HTML right, why if wwe create a VCML, means that with that language we can make a cluster as what mentioned in the VCML without doing any wiring". "Yes sir" I said.

"Oh God, it is a very good idea", I said to him. "So there are two definition of virtual cluster, number one as my definition, and the second one is your definition, I never think about it sir". "When you came I thank about it", he said. "Oh, very fast sir", he smiled.

"What is the purpose of that sir, the second definition?". "You don't understand, OK I wil send you to Chennai, do you want to visit Chennai". "Yes sir I said". "OK I will arrange your departure, because there is a group about cluster, than you can study about cluster over there, you will be there for one week, I will send a message to my friend the Head of Department in Chennai" OK sir

"OK, in this case, meet me next week in the same day and time, and you explain me about different definition about virtual cluster. And in the and of this semester in DRC (Doctorate Review Committee) you have to have a problem". "OK sir, see you next week"


No comments: